About The Fire Museum
This International Fire Museum is run on donations and volunteer efforts alone. It receives no city, state, or federal government funding.
The Kakert Memorial Foundation has teamed up with the museum to help with restoration and renovation in order to maintain this beautiful historic building.
The first group of volunteer firefighters in Davenport were organized in 1856 and called the Independent Fire Engine and Hose Company.
The Davenport Fire Antique & Restoration Society was formed by four members of the Davenport Fire Department in 1984. They acquired Hose Station No. 4 and opened the museum in 1986. The museum contains artifacts and photographs pertaining to firefighting throughout the world. After Lt. Mark Kakert’s passing, many of his fire antiques and personal memorabilia were placed on display by his family, so that they could be shared with all.
The station was designed in the Italianate style. It features a rectangular plan, hipped roof covered in tile and a short tower in back where the hoses dried. The red brick exterior features quoined corners in brick. A single pair of fire-house doors, behind which the firefighting equipment was stored, fronted Eleventh Street. The pedestrian entrance was along the side of the building. Two large rectangular windows are above the fire-house doors and a dormer is on the roof above the main façade.